Kenya Defence Forces (KDF)

Page 4 of 34 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19 ... 34  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Kenya Defence Forces (KDF)

Post  jasiri on Fri Jul 26 2013, 00:27

I've given this beast of war new respect after this!

jasiri

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Burning T 72 Tank

Post  Guest on Sat Jul 27 2013, 02:32

Does anyone know why the T 72 Tank lights up into flames when it gets hit while western tank like the M1-A1 do not? Is it a design flaw?

Back to top Go down

Post  tempest on Sat Jul 27 2013, 12:05

deconstructor wrote:Does anyone know why the T 72 Tank lights up into flames when it gets hit while western tank like the M1-A1 do not? Is it a design flaw?

partly a design issue but I also think we see heavier anti-tank weapons used against the T-72 while Nato tanks tend to face little more than RPGs. Would love to see Nato tanks in a theatre full of proper ATGMs. 

Did we see Markeva casualties in a few hours if fighting against more capable Kornet and Mantis systems? Imagine if that war had gone on for 2 years at that intensity

tempest

View user profile http://www.zimbabwedefence.com/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post  jasiri on Sat Jul 27 2013, 15:43

tempest wrote:
 partly a design issue but I also think we see heavier anti-tank weapons used against the T-72 

Meanwhile in Kenya, someone apparently didn't realise this and purchased a whole division of T-72's! This is just one of those purchases in the KDF i'll never be comfortable with.

jasiri

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Flying Crane on Sun Jul 28 2013, 05:35

come on boys one was hit by a professional weapon and the other by an Impoverished . Razz  .Explosive. Device.  I.E.D. I have seen stronger IED turn western MBT into charcoal jikos.

this is the clip that I like a AK-47 vs T-90. a rebel is cornered by a tank. the tanker knows that his taking in rounds and hits ,  fail to locate the position of the shooter.

the rebel was resilient. had the Tanker turned his turret a  bit more to his right it would have be bingo and the wielded AK47 rebel  turned in mince meat.  he finally manages do disable the anti-personal tank gun with his 5.56mm AK47.
moral of the story Big is not always better

Flying Crane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tempest on Sun Jul 28 2013, 19:03

Flying Crane wrote:come on boys one was hit by a professional weapon and the other by an Impoverished . Razz  .Explosive. Device.  I.E.D. I have seen stronger IED turn western MBT into charcoal jikos.

We agree on that.

However there is a design issue with the Eastern tanks with where ammo is in the same section as the crew such that chances are they will get immediately incinerated by secondary explosions.

tempest

View user profile http://www.zimbabwedefence.com/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Flying Crane on Mon Jul 29 2013, 05:03

tempest wrote:
Flying Crane wrote:come on boys one was hit by a professional weapon and the other by an Impoverished . Razz  .Explosive. Device.  I.E.D. I have seen stronger IED turn western MBT into charcoal jikos.

We agree on that.

However there is a design issue with the Eastern tanks with where ammo is in the same section as the crew such that chances are they will get immediately incinerated by secondary explosions.

where else can the ammo get stored in a tank if not inside the tank? that is western propaganda.

Flying Crane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Al Shabaab agent employed by Kenya Parlianment?

Post  mogen on Mon Jul 29 2013, 10:25

Where were our security sleuths???

The employee of Kenya’s Parliament in Nairobi supports terrorism and recruitment of jihadist fighters into Somalia, says the UN report monitoring Al Shabaab’s activities in Somalia and Eritrea...
http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/?articleID=2000089572&story_title=un-links-kenyan-parliament-official-to-terrorist-funding-recruitment

mogen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Al Bashir on Mon Jul 29 2013, 17:35

mogen wrote:Where were our security sleuths???

The employee of Kenya’s Parliament in Nairobi supports terrorism and recruitment of jihadist fighters into Somalia, says the UN report monitoring Al Shabaab’s activities in Somalia and Eritrea...
http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/?articleID=2000089572&story_title=un-links-kenyan-parliament-official-to-terrorist-funding-recruitment

However shameful, this is not surprising. Parliamentary support staff IMO are just as corrupt as the police force. There's an open unspoken of secret in town about a certain dept(name withheld) within parliament that for a "fee" will "assist" in importing anything through Mombasa duty free/undeclared. Mp's know about it as they frequently use their services at the port and for handling the infamous vote swinging bribes of the 10th parliament.

Al Bashir

View user profile

Back to top Go down

KWALE RICHES

Post  mchoraji on Tue Jul 30 2013, 09:46

The East African Standard wrote:But that resource is a Kenyan birth right. So I don’t care what tribe he’s from:  our President just stood up to one of the most powerful forces in the world to harness it for Kenya, setting up an income stream in royalties, 80 per cent of which will go to Government, and our health service, and teachers’ pay, and so much more.

I love this story in the standard. The fact that the govt. will get 80% of the revenue is great.Our time to soar up there has come thank God. Guess if Anglo American & co. clinched the deal, the revenue sharing may have been a totally different ball-game.
My concern is that the deep-rooted poverty in Kwale will have to be addressed even as the rest of us also benefit.

http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/?articleID=2000089665&story_title=kenya-china-sh8-trillion-mining-deal-is-way-to-go&pageNo=1

mchoraji

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ABDUCTED KENYANS FREED

Post  mchoraji on Tue Jul 30 2013, 11:57

http://www.thepeople.co.ke/12669/two-kenyans-abducted-by-al-shabaab-militia-are-released-2/

Glad our countrymen are back home.wish their freedom was secured earlier.

mchoraji

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jasiri on Tue Jul 30 2013, 14:30

mchoraji wrote:
The East African Standard wrote:But that resource is a Kenyan birth right. So I don’t care what tribe he’s from:  our President just stood up to one of the most powerful forces in the world to harness it for Kenya, setting up an income stream in royalties, 80 per cent of which will go to Government, and our health service, and teachers’ pay, and so much more.

I love this story in the standard. The fact that the govt. will get 80% of the revenue is great.Our time to soar up there has come thank God. Guess if Anglo American & co. clinched the deal, the revenue sharing may have been a totally different ball-game.
My concern is that the deep-rooted poverty in Kwale will have to be addressed even as the rest of us also benefit.

http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/?articleID=2000089665&story_title=kenya-china-sh8-trillion-mining-deal-is-way-to-go&pageNo=1

this is the best article I've ever read on a Kenyan news paper. This author should be invited to T.E.A.

jasiri

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jasiri on Tue Jul 30 2013, 19:26

A belated but nonetheless interesting read. Would really appreciate an insiders perspective on this. Aggressor, Mjeshi, Risasi, Ole Nkarei...

jasiri

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MWAURA on Fri Aug 02 2013, 15:00

jasiri wrote:
tempest wrote:
 partly a design issue but I also think we see heavier anti-tank weapons used against the T-72 

Meanwhile in Kenya, someone apparently didn't realise this and purchased a whole division of T-72's! This is just one of those purchases in the KDF i'll never be comfortable with.
I was with you but reconsidered. Ideally the Vickers 7,better armoured and a 120 mm gun would've been the perfect upgrade. You do know we no longer buy Brit. The Chinese T-99 is still very new and needs to iron out gun stability issues and the Western models Le Clerc,leopard 2A7 and MIA1s are beyond our pocket.
IMO,the T-72s are a stopgap til the oil/mineral money comes in and we can completely upgrade. By then there will be even more options on the market-have you seen the new Turkish tank? Its about to start production along while the Chinese are completing their T-99 design manenos.

MWAURA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jasiri on Sun Aug 04 2013, 14:09

MWAURA wrote:
jasiri wrote:
tempest wrote:

I was with you but reconsidered. Ideally the Vickers 7,better armoured and a 120 mm gun would've been the perfect upgrade. You do know we no longer buy Brit. The Chinese T-99 is still very new and needs to iron out gun stability issues and the Western models Le Clerc,leopard 2A7 and MIA1s are beyond our pocket.
IMO,the T-72s are a stopgap til the oil/mineral money comes in and we can completely upgrade. By then there will be even more options on the market-have you seen the new Turkish tank? Its about to start production along while the Chinese are completing their T-99 design manenos.
The German Army took delivery of thousands of Leopard 2 MBT variants with the A4 alone accounting for 2,125 examples. When the CCCP (USSR) collapsed, the Germans and Dutch suddenly had too much tanks than they had need or use for. The much feared Soviet tank tsunami never happened. As a result, the German and Dutch armies started looking for ways to dispose these beast tanks. Suddenly, nations such as Chile, Portugal, Peru, Indonesia etc that could ordinarily not afford these beauties found themselves operating top-of-the-range armoured monsters.
Going by the fact that the market is still open, why couldn't the KDF-Armoured go for these instead of some Soviet junk? a 2A4 in Armoured olive green is enough to see Kenya deffer the need for a new MBT type for at least 20 years! Isn't that more than cost effective?

jasiri

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chai town moveout?

Post  proud kenyan on Sun Aug 04 2013, 21:05

this story is as complicated as they come. Is the KDF actually handing over to the SFG or to the state of Jubbaland through the SFG, since nothing much has been heard of the reconciliation going on in crazy town
http://www.nation.co.ke/News/politics/-/1064/1937152/-/c3w4xr/-/index.html

here, the CIC states the priorities as pertaining Somalia
http://standardmedia.co.ke/?articleID=2000090133&story_title=president-uhuru-kenyatta-wants-africa-to-focus-on-fighting-al-shabaab&pageNo=1

proud kenyan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cycoh 'DUDUS' on Sun Aug 04 2013, 21:30

proud kenyan wrote:this story is as complicated as they come. Is the KDF actually handing over to the SFG or to the state of Jubbaland through the SFG, since nothing much has been heard of the reconciliation going on in crazy town

http://standardmedia.co.ke/?articleID=2000090133&story_title=president-uhuru-kenyatta-wants-africa-to-focus-on-fighting-al-shabaab&pageNo=1

A move-out is far-fetched bro, more like a flimsy intergration of some SFG elements into the Chai town Security apparatus. Just some precaution sweeps from the inner circles of some civilian spooks. @ole Nkarei & other uniforms on the grid can shed more light.
IMHO, the whole issue is a mere scapegoat for the usual feel-good stuff for the shaking-Sheikh.

Cycoh 'DUDUS'

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mchoraji on Mon Aug 05 2013, 08:30

http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/?articleID=2000090061&story_title=study-reveals-high-prevelance-of-heart-disease-in-kdf-soldiers

mchoraji

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cycoh 'DUDUS' on Mon Aug 05 2013, 16:25

More accurate insight; http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/?articleID=2000090182&story_title=leaders-stop-unfair-accusations-against-amisom/

Cycoh 'DUDUS' wrote:
proud kenyan wrote:this story is as complicated as they come. Is the KDF actually handing over to the SFG or to the state of Jubbaland through the SFG, since nothing much has been heard of the reconciliation going on in crazy town

A move-out is far-fetched bro, more like a flimsy intergration of some SFG elements into the Chai town Security apparatus. Just some precaution sweeps from the inner circles of some civilian spooks. @ole Nkarei & other uniforms on the grid can shed more light.
IMHO, the whole issue is a mere scapegoat for the usual feel-good stuff for the shaking-Sheikh.

Cycoh 'DUDUS'

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Olekoima on Tue Aug 06 2013, 08:02

jasiri wrote:
MWAURA wrote:
jasiri wrote:
tempest wrote:

The German Army took delivery of thousands of Leopard 2 MBT variants with the A4 alone accounting for 2,125 examples. When the CCCP (USSR) collapsed, the Germans and Dutch suddenly had too much tanks than they had need or use for. The much feared Soviet tank tsunami never happened. As a result, the German and Dutch armies started looking for ways to dispose these beast tanks. Suddenly, nations such as Chile, Portugal, Peru, Indonesia etc that could ordinarily not afford these beauties found themselves operating top-of-the-range armoured monsters.
Going by the fact that the market is still open, why couldn't the KDF-Armoured go for these instead of some Soviet junk? a 2A4 in Armoured olive green is enough to see Kenya deffer the need for a new MBT type for at least 20 years! Isn't that more than cost effective?

The T-72s were bought on account of cost alone, perhaps as a stop gap measure as Mwaura puts it. It was the same thing with the air force going for the F-5s from Jordan instead of new 4th generation multi-role fighters as Uganda did. One cannot help thinking that somebody was not prudent with use of tax payers money here. However, looking at Africa as a whole, no country has a much better tank than the T-72 except Egypt, Morocco ( both with the Abrams ), Algeria ( T-90 ) and South Africa (the Leopard). Someone said Uganda too had acquired the T-90. Many still field the T-55. Kenya's Vickers MK 3 is in fact still top notch in this regard except when it comes to the T-72. That said, we will still need to upgrade.

Olekoima

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Aug 06 2013, 17:13

mchoraji wrote:

You do realise that the 80% he's talking about are not the royalties on 85 billion (or, in a revised figure, 120 billion). 80% is GoK's share of the royalties, which are actually 3% or 5%, depending on the mineral.
Of the fabulous 120 billion, Kenya retains less that 5 billion, of which 80% goes to Nairobi and most of the rest to Kwale.
So no, our president didn't stand up to anyone. He just gave away 115 billion.

Back to top Go down

Post  mchoraji on Wed Aug 07 2013, 10:06

Vitruvian wrote:
You do realise that the 80% he's talking about are not the royalties on 85 billion (or, in a revised figure, 120 billion). 80% is GoK's share of the royalties, which are actually 3% or 5%, depending on the mineral.
Of the fabulous 120 billion, Kenya retains less that 5 billion, of which 80% goes to Nairobi and most of the rest to Kwale.

I agree some people are out kutupotosha.Vitruvian please read the following article

http://www.nation.co.ke/blogs/Balala-must-keep-mining-firms-on-their-toes/-/446696/1939316/-/view/asBlogPost/-/hvsosq/-/index.html

But I'd like to know the acceptable royalty rates payable worldwide.I know we are reviewing our rates since previously the law set them at 3% which was rather low. how about oil?
Tullow seems to be taking us for a ride too.after drilling only two or so wells, they claim mafuta inatosha while in UG for example they've done over 50 exploratory wells since 2006.they shouldn't be let to cut corners.let due diligence be done.

mchoraji

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MWAURA on Wed Aug 07 2013, 15:18

jasiri wrote:
MWAURA wrote:
jasiri wrote:
tempest wrote:

True,but this was the early to mid 90s when we were under a subtle arms embargo. For now like I said,I'm convinced the T-72s are a stopgap. Ten or so year from now I'd not be surprised to see new 135 mm gun Ivan T-95s,the Turkish tank or even a brand new Indian monster in KDF colours.
The South as you know has been developing their own competencies for a while;fyi,the Indians have a brand new gunship.

MWAURA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MWAURA on Wed Aug 07 2013, 15:22

Vitruvian wrote:
mchoraji wrote:

It all depends on what the GoK goes for. Profit sharing via downstream retailing through a KNOC would see up to 50% profit sharing on oil. With respect to minerals I'd like to believe we can do better than TZ. Gold companies made over 2 bn $ the past decade with our ndugus seeing less than 5% of that-shit!!

MWAURA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sayaret matkal on Wed Aug 07 2013, 20:43

Hey people its been a while though iv bn following the progress from a birds eyeview:-) i wonder what the drone pilots call it...it does suck that the country earns such lousy rayolties wen the mining companies rake in fortunes..well its the curse of the mining sector if yu asked me.only solution is the govt developing the capacity to extract the minerals themselves.and that for nw is little more than a pipedream.

Anyway id lyk to know why NOTAR choppers arent that common since i gather that they r more likely to survive a hit than the tail rotared brother..n its evn available also easily adoptable to our current pilots without much training i blv. N md500s r available in the 520 version of the aircraft.Risasi,cylone,any1...care to share your thoughts

Sayaret matkal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Airport tragedy

Post  Kobooz on Fri Aug 09 2013, 13:18

I smell economic sabotage. why? this comes after 2 unjustified travel advisories against Kenya which failed to deter tourists from visiting. I might be wrong. well let us soldeir on we shall recover.

Kobooz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sayaret matkal on Fri Aug 09 2013, 14:34

@kobozz u culd b right, not to mention the one posted in johnnys website about'60km frm som border'..lamu? Ati fbi to assist with investigations..smthng vry fishy going on. Its a shame that a mordern international airport does not have a fire dept...nt evn a red landrover with a water tank!

Sayaret matkal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

JKIA

Post  Kobooz on Fri Aug 09 2013, 18:39

You agree that it's too much of a coincidence. of course we have really suffered image damage. Africa will fully liberated the day we will gang up against the west as an entire continent, we are seeing signs with esp the 3 EA presidents, but will Sammy/Johnny allow it to hapen?

Kobooz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SS Jamuhuri on Sat Aug 10 2013, 09:23

I read ths article with a pinch of salt...methinks this Unsom will jeopardize the efforts of stabilizing somalia...plus the writer seems to be reading from one side of the coin on matters pertaining the UN "experts report" your thoughts..... www.theeastafrican.co.ke/OpEd/comment/UN-interventionism-back-in-Somalia-/-/434750/1935618/-/item/0/-/5o9bo/-/index.html

SS Jamuhuri

View user profile

Back to top Go down

UN(sammy,johnny) armtwisting

Post  proud kenyan on Sat Aug 10 2013, 14:04

SS Jamuhuri wrote:I read ths article with a pinch of salt...methinks this Unsom will jeopardize the efforts of stabilizing somalia...plus the writer seems to be reading from one side of the coin on matters pertaining the UN "experts report" your thoughts.....   www.theeastafrican.co.ke/OpEd/comment/UN-interventionism-back-in-Somalia-/-/434750/1935618/-/item/0/-/5o9bo/-/index.html
 sometime back the same experts wrote of how the KDF has been one-sided, bringing about some "discomfort" in sector 2. soon after, crazt town started crying for the exit of the same army that led to the rapid movement of other forces into al shabaab-held areas. the replacement of the former UN special rep(mahiga) with the current johnny points to a spoiler party for AMISOM,hell mahiga achieved more as a special envoy than the current puppet. now with the coming up of UNSOM most reconstruction contracts will be granted to certain countries which we all know, hence the need for their "experts" to try and paint EA countries as the devil and them as the angels holier than thou. to cut the long story short, such stories should be read with a pinch of chilli,salt is too mild for the same

proud kenyan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 15:10

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 34 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19 ... 34  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top