REGIONAL DISCUSSIONS:

Page 21 of 23 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: REGIONAL DISCUSSIONS:

Post  Cycoh 'DUDUS' on Tue Dec 24 2013, 23:20

georiise wrote:As it stands now in South Sudan

Rebel fire hit two U.S. military aircraft responding to the outbreak in violence in South Sudan on Saturday, wounding three U.S. service members and heavily damaging at least one of the aircraft
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/12/21/world/africa/south-sudan-violence/
UPDF Mi-24 attack helicopters were also shot at
http://www.newvision.co.ug/news/650740-ugandan-aircraft-shot-at-in-south-sudan.html
@ spartan could the two incidents be related?
Very accurate map georise on the situation. The two incidents are just as a result of enemy fire
, nothing sinister.
Interloper wrote:
Interloper wrote:http://www.sudantribune.com/index.php

Seems UPDF AF are in the thick of things.
http://www.southsudannewsagency.com/news/breaking-news/ugandan-air-force-bombs-rebel-bases-in-jonglei

Close securoty sources have cited a Sukoi in this incident which is good. I can't validate the claim on my own stand but will do so if I get an associate.
@mchoraji, this maneno of picking sides is causing sleepless nights allover Kenyana bwana. As for me it'll be a game of waiting as everything unfolds.

Cycoh 'DUDUS'

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Dar port expansion

Post  jasiri on Wed Jan 08 2014, 12:22

Once again the old African curse strikes! This time in Dar-Es-Salaam. Apparently, kaka zetu from the southern plains have cancelled the port expansion project, re-worked it and given it to the Congolese firm Impala Africa. Here is where im confused. I want to applaud because as an African im happy that finaly a big contract is staying in Africa. The im sad because this Tanzanian minister by the name Mwakyembe is blatantly displaying Maembe logic. He argues that Kenya built 2 berths at 250 million USD n there‘s no way they will pay 523 million USD for the same work. This is despite his engineers telling him that unlike shallow Dar, Mombasa is 14 metres deep while Dar has to be dredged to 16 metres to compete with Mombasa. Besides there are some pipelines at the sea bed that need to be relocated. As an African im terribly dissapointed, as a Kenyan im happy that we get another chance to solidify our place. . .@Spartan @Crane, u didn‘t tell us how grain prices in Uganda are tough on you guys. I have a couple bagd of maize i need to dispose off :-D.

jasiri

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mchoraji on Wed Jan 08 2014, 17:18

jasiri wrote:Once again the old African curse strikes! This time in Dar-Es-Salaam. Apparently, kaka zetu from the southern plains have cancelled the port expansion project, re-worked it and given it to the Congolese firm Impala Africa. Here is where im confused. I want to applaud because as an African im happy that finaly a big contract is staying in Africa. The im sad because this Tanzanian minister by the name Mwakyembe is blatantly displaying Maembe logic. He argues that Kenya built 2 berths at 250 million USD n there‘s no way they will pay 523 million USD for the same work. This is despite his engineers telling him that unlike shallow Dar, Mombasa is 14 metres deep while Dar has to be dredged to 16 metres to compete with Mombasa. Besides there are some pipelines at the sea bed that need to be relocated. As an African im terribly dissapointed, as a Kenyan im happy that we get another chance to solidify our place. . .@Spartan @Crane, u didn‘t tell us how grain prices in Uganda are tough on you guys. I have a couple bagd of maize i need to dispose off .   

I hope our neighbors will be the wiser & not follow the cheap route.If a Congolese company is given the contract, there are no prizes to guess what the quality of the works would be.  Very Happy  Very Happy Twisted Evil  Laughing such a big project should be handled in a better manner.
As much as it would give Mombasa 'compe', Kenyans have always performed very well when it matters.The regional economies are also expected to perform very well in the coming years so having various dependable outlets is advisable.Europe has countless major ports & they all get business.
About the Mombasa-Malaba / Kisumu standard gauge rail project, guys like Keter are yapping when they don't have 90% of the facts.A big part of the rail won't follow the current route & lots of land will be acquired to factor in the route change.We all know how land prices are in Kenya. A new highway will also be constructed along the route. That also coupled with a few other issues make the project a bit expensive but we expect a quality product.

mchoraji

View user profile

Back to top Go down

C.A.R

Post  mchoraji on Thu Jan 09 2014, 17:31

Ulaya is back to Africa in full swing.The French are already there.Now the E.U considering joining them  Evil or Very Mad  Sad  Sad .What happened to funding Africans to deal with these threats? Chad was willing to step in & probably Uganda.But with Somalia & now S.S, UPDF may not be ready for such a deployment but don't like this one bit.
But as long as Africa will remain handicapped financially, these guys will continue riding roughshod over us.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2014/01/eu-considers-car-peacekeeping-mission-201419132731343538.html

mchoraji

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jasiri on Thu Jan 09 2014, 17:39

mchoraji wrote:Ulaya is back to Africa in full swing.The French are already there.Now the E.U considering joining them  Evil or Very Mad  Sad  Sad .What happened to funding Africans to deal with these threats? Chad was willing to step in & probably Uganda.But with Somalia & now S.S, UPDF may not be ready for such a deployment but don't like this one bit.
But as long as Africa will remain handicapped financially, these guys will continue riding roughshod over us.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2014/01/eu-considers-car-peacekeeping-mission-201419132731343538.html
hehehehe waafrika mulileta tabia mbaya. You were supposed to fail in Somalia and things would have been peachy. Instead you go ahead and succeed and show the world if left to it Africans can indeed survive. Sometimes i think covert support for these rebel forces against these characters may be a necessary evil. Bring down a landing C-17 and we'll see if they'll stay.

jasiri

View user profile

Back to top Go down

African Gang-Ho Generals

Post  Spartan on Thu Jan 09 2014, 20:28

These past three weeks saw the demise of Col. Mamdou Ndala of the 42nd Battalion of FARDC as well as two South Sudan 'generals', one in the morning and another in the afternoon of the same day, last Saturday to be exact. There are two similarities here between the two batches of commanders;

1. They both under estimated the enemy
2. Both traveled without intel
3. Both believed their own hype

Needless to say, neither Col. Mamadou nor the SPLA 'generals' earned their ranks, and this is evident in their ill-conceived and ill-executed operations. Otherwise how do you explain a general leading from in-front! I don't know about the FARDC, but I think it's not allowed for senior officers to travel like that, esp in war theatres because it endangers the entire mission and lives of soldiers shd the general be captured or killed, as happened in Bor.

It's the work of junior commanders to command from those positions, and move like that. History is filled with commanders who were reckless but popular with soldiers, and most are dead (Maj. Gen. Fred Rwigyema etc).

I also have failed to understand the mathematics of whoever is making the tactical moves around Bor on behalf of the SPLA. How do you attack 4,000 - 5,000 similarly trained and armed enemy, not to mention the 'White Army' with just 2,000? Decisions like these get you court-martialled in professional armies.

South Sudan has turned me, over the course of one month, into a very disappointed East African right now.

Spartan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jasiri on Thu Jan 09 2014, 21:29

Spartan wrote:
I also have failed to understand the mathematics of whoever is making the tactical moves around Bor on behalf of the SPLA. How do you attack 4,000 - 5,000 similarly trained and armed enemy, not to mention the 'White Army' with just 2,000? Decisions like these get you court-martialled in professional armies.
 That is exactly the reason i have not been commenting on the Sudanese war effort but rather IGAD 'deployment'. Who holds the heli battalion? who commands most of the ammo and fuel dump-sites? if one side holds the rotaries, why haven't they been used to effect? these people are just jokers. n when one tells them there's a big difference between discipline forces maneuvers and guerrilla ones, they dispute!

jasiri

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartan on Thu Jan 09 2014, 23:47

jasiri wrote:That is exactly the reason i have not been commenting on the Sudanese war effort but rather IGAD 'deployment'. Who holds the heli battalion? who commands most of the ammo and fuel dump-sites? if one side holds the rotaries, why haven't they been used to effect? these people are just jokers. n when one tells them there's a big difference between discipline forces maneuvers and guerrilla ones, they dispute!

The last time I checked, SPLA just had transport choppers, not attack. In the meantime, our new official posture in South Sudan is that we are there "to ensure proper conditions for peaceful negotiations take place". this is after the press reported seeing convoys of tanks, APCs and fighter planes fine-tuning manouvres in Gulu. Hope that is enough to 'encourage' the parties in Addis to strike a deal soon.

Machar has to know that the only alternative to peace is war with a determined opponent

Spartan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jasiri on Fri Jan 10 2014, 12:29

@Spartan, the Mi-17 can be outfitted with rockets and vikhr atgm's right? n the South Sudanese have a couple of those birds...

jasiri

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nyukilized on Fri Jan 10 2014, 20:05

Hopefully we are not caught napping..... we need an Continent strategy ASAP...........

mchoraji wrote:Ulaya is back to Africa in full swing.The French are already there.Now the E.U considering joining them  Evil or Very Mad  Sad  Sad .What happened to funding Africans to deal with these threats? Chad was willing to step in & probably Uganda.But with Somalia & now S.S, UPDF may not be ready for such a deployment but don't like this one bit.

nyukilized

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Riek Machar

Post  Gallahad on Mon Jan 13 2014, 18:40

Its really surprising that Riek Machar has insisted that he wont negotiate without pre-conditions considering that he does not seem to be doing too well on the battlefront. His position doesn't look strong, IGAD insisting that they would not allow an overthrow by force of arms, Sudan talking to Salva Kiir.............or does he think the Uncle Sam et al will come to his aid considering their insistence on the release of detainees?

Gallahad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

S.SUDAN

Post  mchoraji on Fri Jan 17 2014, 08:51

This conflict already in it's second month continues to unravel. Rais Museveni has already confirmed that his troops are actively engaged. It's said that Rwanda is mulling over a similar action.Kenya up-to now may only be offering logistical support. The two nations to watch are Kenya & Ethiopia.
Kenya has always been reluctant to send it's troops into regional conflicts........until it went after Al Shabaab. The planned projects between our two countries plus Ethiopia & Uganda run into billions of dollars & will completely change the region's economy. As things stand why would our nation be shy of standing with it's ally? Kenyan cor-prates have been worst hit by the conflict. The Mombasa port is already choking due to huge volumes of  un-collected cargo destined for S.S. It's the second biggest transit destination for cargo at the port after Uganda. About 30,000 citizens have fled back home with almost nothing.
Ethiopia on it's part is tied down since it's hosting the peace talks.I guess Djibouti is also very interested in the conflict since it wants to share in the transit cargo pie.Talk has been rife that the pipeline from S.S oilfields may eventually have to go through Ethiopia & Djibouti. But thank God for the Ugandan & Kenyan oil discoveries. The pipeline to Lamu port will still be viable. 
If tiny Rwanda can offer to stand with them.....we have to do something. The refugee burden will be weighing heavily on us as well.I however trust our leaders to come up with the best way forward.

@ Aggressor, you had promised some juicy tidbits.... still waiting.International media claims 9 UPDF soldiers have died so far while Machar claims his rebels killed 50......which of course is grossly exaggerated. Same international media put the UPDF deployment at around 5,000 troops. Waiting for you to share some of the facts.

mchoraji

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Risasi on Sat Jan 18 2014, 08:54

@mchoraji
normally we don,t like to go into ops in the region as it will confirm to our adversaries about our strategies of doing things. our laxity has always created a false euphoria that we might be inferior or just a ceremonial Military force. it ok with us let them think so, thats our strategy, we know what we are capable of doing . Somalia had to be done no way out....therefore  in pre 80 equipment's coupled with post 2000 strategies i.e special ops, ranges bla bla  . noticed the ripples???... changes in military strategy  and structures by our friends and brothers around the region. I will stop here.

tusiamsheni tena walio lala ama?

Risasi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartan on Sat Jan 18 2014, 21:07

mchoraji wrote:@ Aggressor, you had promised some juicy tidbits.... still waiting.International media claims 9 UPDF soldiers have died so far while Machar claims his rebels killed 50......which of course is grossly exaggerated. Same international media put the UPDF deployment at around 5,000 troops. Waiting for you to share some of the facts.

There's no way Riek Machar's makeshift outfit could kill 50 UPDF troops, it would have to be an ambush/battle of mega proportions. The last time we suffered such casualties was in Kisangani, against an opponent who knew us well but also outnumbered us 3:1. When the CiC put Brigadier Kayanja Muhanga, hero of Bakara Market, Mogadishu stadium, Daynile, Mogadishu University and Afgoye battles, with Gen. Katumba Wamala at the helm (Gen. Katumba Wamala was also his immediate commander in Somalia), my nerves were calmed.

I am still wondering why SPLA can't martial a force bigger than a battalion in these battles, Bor was taken by 2,000 UPDF and 1,000 SPLA, against rebels numbering anywhere from 4,000 to 15,000 (this figure hasn't been verified). After a week of an artillery barrage and three ferocious battles at Pariak and Jameza in which we lost a section-strength of troops, the rebels couldn't contain it any longer.

The enemy has made 'a strategic retreat' northwards to Pibor. I shared here that UPDF is not in South Sudan to ensure a military solution but to encourage the signing of peace deal that will end hostilities. But should Machar think otherwise, in UPDF he has got a dedicated opponent.

Spartan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

South Sudan Crisis images

Post  Sierra Kilo on Sun Jan 19 2014, 18:38

The blood, the tears and the despair

SPLA Commandos preparing to retake BOR

An SPLA Soldier smokes in Pariak Village near BOR

Dinka Civillians Mobilised to Support SPLA Operation In BOR

SPLA Soldiers strategise after being ambushed in Pariak

Former SRRC Trucks converted  for military use

SPLA T-72 Tank races to put down rebellion at Qiyada Barracks and protect Juba1

Old Photo of Gen Peter Gatdet who is in control of rebel forces in Jonglei

SPLA Mi-117 Transport Helicopter in previous mission in BOR

Shame of the war, Tribal Apartheid

American nationals evacuated aboard a C-5 Galaxy from Juba

General Salva Kiir heading to a press conference to announce the suppression of the coup by Machar

General Salva Kiir honours the UPDF colours

Sierra Kilo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallahad on Sun Jan 19 2014, 21:35

@Sierra Kilo, first picture, looks like an American unit......

Gallahad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sierra Kilo on Mon Jan 20 2014, 09:44

Gallahad wrote:@Sierra Kilo, first picture, looks like an American unit......
The Americans have been funding the regularisation of the SPLA through a contractor DynCorp. All the elite forces appear to have ditched the soviet Ak-47 for the American AR-15.

Sierra Kilo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kobooz on Mon Jan 20 2014, 11:41

Am just wondering about the unstructured military interventions e.g updf in S.S. This has definately helped arrest the situation but dont u think it will have repurcussions on regional ralations? a citizen may feel that its bcoz my country s.s. is young & weak that neighbors come in @will without mandate. remember the war involves civilians with tribal/political affiliation e.g. how will he relate with a ugandan businessman in s.s in future? its time we made ideas like EA standby brigade alive?

Kobooz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

SS More photos courtesy of AP

Post  Sierra Kilo on Mon Jan 20 2014, 17:23

BOR in Ruins

An SPLA Soldier Inspects a Dead Body along a destroyed part of BOR Market

An SPLA Soldier Carries Fresh Ammo Supplies after capturing BOR

A UPDF Mamba MRAPV  Races along BOR Streets after the City Fell to GOSS

Soldiers Guarding the Ramp at BOR Airstrip

UPDF soldiers backing SPLA aboard their Casspir in BOR

An SPLA Soldier seen through a Bullet hole from inside the terminal Building of BOR Airstrip

Sierra Kilo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mJESHI mMOJA on Mon Jan 20 2014, 23:31

Sierra Kilo wrote:
Gallahad wrote:@Sierra Kilo, first picture, looks like an American unit......
The Americans have been funding the regularisation of the SPLA through a contractor DynCorp. All the elite forces appear to have ditched the soviet Ak-47 for the American AR-15.

Chinese clones.  congress would never allow that....
M4-CQ5'56 assault carbine

http://chinesemilitaryreview.blogspot.ae/2011/11/norinco-cq-cq-311-assault-rifle.html

mJESHI mMOJA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

JUBALAND ADMINSTRATION

Post  mchoraji on Tue Jan 21 2014, 14:00

At last an administration to run the affairs of Jubaland has been formed with Ahmed Madobe as leader.I hope we get a KDF insider to be letting us know what's happening in southern Somalia.O.N used to do it very well but now that he isn't available......we need someone.

The SRSG Amb. Mahamat Anadiff (left) welcomed by KDF Brig. Walter Raria

Jubaland adminstration leader Ahmed Madobe. His image has improved from the military fatigues clad figure a few months ago

mchoraji

View user profile

Back to top Go down

THE PLOT BEHIND RIEK MACHAR?

Post  MWAURA on Tue Jan 21 2014, 18:40

I'm on record doubting the entire official Westgate story;IMO its all a false flag ,worse not even the first or second such atrocity by the same people genetically driven to do these things. IMO,Machar's moves are scripted by outsiders-the very same week there was a Kinshasa coup attempt. These incidents aren't unconnected.
I don't have the backstory personally and welcome details or even any informed speculation.

MWAURA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartan on Wed Jan 22 2014, 19:20

Some Ugandan politicians are outdoing Machar's rebels when it comes to the number of UPDF killed in South Sudan. Hon. Mukasa Mbidde (EALA MP) was of the view that 10,000 UPDF had died!! Kwani, was a nuke used against UPDF in South Sudan? And these ignorant people aspire to be my CiC one day. Meanwhile, the politicians opposed to this deployment had better get used because this it is unlikely to be the last.

In the meantime, Ethiopian troops have been re-hatted into AMISOM. This will free Ugandan and Burundian troops at Baidoa to move into Lower and Middle Shabelle regions.

Some pics from Bor which Machar's rebels were recently 'convinced and pursuaded' to abandon.

Brig. Kayanja Muhanga, Brig. Muhoozi and Gen. Katumba Wamala in Bor yesterday

UPDF soldier guarding Juba Airport

War booty left behind by fleeing Machar rebels

SPLA Chief of Staff Gen Hoth Mai with Gen. Katumba Wamala

UPDF tank in Bor

Last edited by Spartan on Wed Jan 22 2014, 19:39; edited 1 time in total

Spartan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartan on Wed Jan 22 2014, 19:29

The jury is still out on whether Rwanda and Uganda's role in the region is positive or negative. Many reports in the media (especially Kenyan media) suggested that Rwanda was preparing forces to go to South Sudan. The truth was that they were heading to Bangui, and have acquited themselves well so far

Rwandan Mambas in Bangui

RDF is also in charge of the security of the new female CiC in Bangui

Spartan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Jan 23 2014, 07:36

Spartan wrote:Some Ugandan politicians are outdoing Machar's rebels when it comes to the number of UPDF killed in South Sudan. Hon. Mukasa Mbidde (EALA MP) was of the view that 10,000 UPDF had died!! Kwani, was a nuke used against UPDF in South Sudan? And these ignorant people aspire to be my CiC one day. Meanwhile, the politicians opposed to this deployment had better get used because this it is unlikely to be the last.

In the meantime, Ethiopian troops have been re-hatted into AMISOM. This will free Ugandan and Burundian troops at Baidoa to move into Lower and Middle Shabelle regions.

Some pics from Bor which Machar's rebels were recently 'convinced and pursuaded' to abandon.

UPDF soldier guarding Juba Airport

SPLA Chief of Staff Gen Hoth Mai with Gen. Katumba Wamala

UPDF tank in Bor

Excellent @Spartan, in the first pic there seems to be two types of camo, is this a new UPDF camo pattern?

Back to top Go down

Post  mchoraji on Thu Jan 23 2014, 10:13

deconstructor wrote:

Excellent @Spartan, in the first pic there seems to be two types of camo, is this a new UPDF camo pattern?

@ Deconstructor, the camo with dark green is used by the UPDFspecial forces commanded by Brig. Muhoozi Kainerugaba. The other one is the kawaida one in use by the UPDF land forces.I have never before this seen Gen. Wamala in the S.F uniform.
The S.F include the Presidential Guard Brigade which protects the president & family plus tribal kings.They also guard key installations.

Gen. wamala in a previous photo

Wabare nyo nyo @ Spartan.great images. In the second pic I've highlighted, there is a mzungu in UPDF-AF uniform though viatu for example not military (next to Gen. Wamala). who is he?

mchoraji

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Jan 24 2014, 04:39

mchoraji wrote:
deconstructor wrote:

@ Deconstructor, the camo with dark green is used by the UPDFspecial forces commanded by Brig. Muhoozi Kainerugaba. The other one is the kawaida one in use by the UPDF land forces.I have never before this seen Gen. Wamala in the S.F uniform.
The S.F include the Presidential Guard Brigade which protects the president & family plus tribal kings.They also guard key installations.

Gen. wamala in a previous photo

Wabare nyo nyo @ Spartan.great images. In the second pic I've highlighted, there is a mzungu in UPDF-AF uniform though viatu for example not military (next to Gen. Wamala). who is he?

Thank you @Mchoraji

Back to top Go down

Post  Interloper on Sat Jan 25 2014, 21:24

Some interesting reading on regional security...

http://www.theeastafrican.co.ke/OpEd/comment/Army-interventions-bricks-in-East-Africa-new-security-wall-/-/434750/2159942/-/13svjkbz/-/index.html

Interloper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Amisom

Post  Gallahad on Tue Jan 28 2014, 07:48

Ethiopia has joined Amisom and her troops have replaced Ugandan and Burundian troops in Baidoa and Kenyan troops in Gedo. We know that these troops are not coming home, where are they going to be deployed? Methinks the kebabs are about to be tossed out of some of their towns.

Gallahad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cycoh 'DUDUS' on Tue Jan 28 2014, 15:37

Interloper wrote:Some interesting reading on regional security...

http://www.theeastafrican.co.ke/OpEd/comment/Army-interventions-bricks-in-East-Africa-new-security-wall-/-/434750/2159942/-/13svjkbz/-/index.html

Right on the button, @Interloper. "Proud Citizens of Kenyana. Very Happy

Gallahad wrote:Ethiopia has joined Amisom and her troops have replaced Ugandan and Burundian troops in Baidoa and Kenyan troops in Gedo. We know that these troops are not coming home, where are they going to be deployed? Methinks the kebabs are about to be tossed out of some of their towns.
@Gallahad, the current Ethiopian Premier is a well-behaved chap who usually weighs his actions before he gives 'em a 'go'. Not like the Marehemu Meles Zenawi - crazy hardened, whichever.

The Ethiopian Premier will play cards well, add to that the AMISOM Umbrella.
Everything is okay. Unasikia siku hizi Risasi & Co. are being begged to let Somalis sleep. Very Happy

@Spartan, thanks for sharing the photos. Jus' keep 'em coming.

Cycoh 'DUDUS'

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 20:53

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 23 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top